Monday, February 13, 2006

The more we get together, together, together...

Hi there!

This here's the inaugural posting of my blog. My main goal with this thing is to keep in better touch with friends and family who are scattered about the world in places where I can't drop in on them for coffee on a Tuesday afternoon when I'm bored or the baby is crying. I also would like (Two! I have two main goals!) to get more in the habit of writing on a regular basis and give myself a creative outlet. It would also be nice (Three! Three main goals! Nobody expects...) to have a location to post more frequent pictures of le bebe, so as to cut down on the pesky e-mails from people saying, "Aren't we due for more pictures of Nolan?"

Aaaaaaaaand that brings us to the real reason I'm here (Four! Four main goals - oh, never mind, I'll come in again.) I had a baby. About eight months ago. And you know all those cliches like, "Having a baby changes your life" and "You don't know how much you can love someone until you have a child"? They're totally, painfully, embarrassingly true. From the minute he was born (June 7th, 2005, 8:03 pm, if you're interested. No drugs at all, natural childbirth all the way, thank you very much) my first thought was "I would die for this baby." (After, of course, the thought "This kid's gonna be an only child, 'cause I'm NEVER doing that again.)*

My husband and I have moved quite a bit in the last few years, and I'm not one of those people who makes friends at the drop of a hat (or binky), so I needed a way to keep in touch with the friends I already have, as well as keep my family posted on Nolan's development and increasing adorability.

So that's it. The raison d'etre for the blog. In case you're wondering, "thptpth" is from Bloom County. It's what Bill the Cat always says (when he's not saying "Oop! Ack!"). It's long been a favorite expression of mine; sort of a raspberry, but not so much a raspberry as an expression of teasing or naughtiness, but rather a raspberry of dismissal. Like saying, "Whatever, dude." Except non-verbally. And yes, it is always spelled T-H-P-T-P-T-H.

My goal is to post every morning by getting up before Nolan and getting on the computer whilst still having my coffee and waking up, so posts may be incoherent (they may be incoherent even if I'm not posting first thing in the morning, but at least this way I have an excuse.)

Thanks for reading.

*I have since changed my mind about this.

2 comments:

Zach said...

YAY! You've joined the blogosphere! YAY! We get to read about you! YAY! It's almost like IMing but without the interactivity, 2-way conversation, or typos. So, really nothing like IMing. Except that I know you're out there because you're typing and I'm reading. YAY!!

Electric Mayhem said...

I second Dru. What's anything Joy-related without a "yay!"?