Friday, March 03, 2006

I'm the man who loves you

My grandfather is dying. He's had bladder cancer for about 10 years now, but he's had a number of cystoscopies and been in remission (on and off) for most of that time. Now it seems things are coming to a head. The cancer has metastasized to his kidneys and lungs, and he's been hospitalized for renal failure. KB assures me that renal failure is a very peaceful and easy way to die - not much pain or suffering, and fairly speedy. I guess that's good, as far as anything about this can be said to be good.

We're leaving today to drive down to New Jersey to see him in the hospital. Even though Nolan won't remember the visit, I'd like him to see his great-grandfather at least one last time, while Pop is lucid enough to enjoy seeing him.

When Grammy, his wife, my grandmother, died (almost four years ago now) we were all very surprised that she was even sick. Pop had always been the sick one, and no one expected Grammy to die first. She was diagnosed with acute myelogenous leukemia, was admitted to the hospital to start chemo, and died eight days later. I didn't get to see her while she was still conscious, although I was able to be there and hold her hand when she died, and I've always wished I could have spoken to her once more to tell her how much I loved her.

So we're driving to New Jersey today.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: